Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Reply to DBolling

I definitely agree with your opening statement about daily routines being changed and newspapers becoming obsolete. I find it interesting that you brought up that you would read the sports section when you woke up – what about the other sections? It would be interesting to find out how many people actually read the entire newspaper versus just sections of it. I know that many people skip over sections that they don’t find interesting.

I also agree with your point about people buying newspapers when big national or international events occur. I know that I still have articles from the newspaper when a friend passed away and when September 11 happened. People use articles from newspapers to share their history. Something to show to the grandkids as some would say. It is disappointing thinking that these tokens of our history could be lost.

Again, I think you make a very valid point expressing your views on what is to come for the newspaper. Once a staple in print journalism and part of our everyday life, the newspaper could be left as a forgotten memory in our nation. People are just too busy, or like to think they are too busy, to take the time to read an entire newspaper. I know as from a personal experience that my parents used to get daily papers. Now they get the Sunday paper only, for reasons that you have already listed. People will buy newspapers when they need them (an example is the ads and coupons for Black Friday sales), but will people start realizing that those opportunities may diminish at some point? Do they plan on putting all of the coupons and shopping ads in the online newspapers? It is an interesting thing to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment