Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Response to Who killed the newspaper?

Daniel, I like this post and I agree with you about everything. One of the parts I really like is when you write about how you read the sport section of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel while eating breakfast every day. I myself used to do this but with a different Newspaper. I spent the first 18 years of my life in the City of Duluth, MN before I moved to Milwaukee the summer after I graduated from High School. Every morning I would wake up and read the sports section of the Duluth News Tribune. http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ Then I moved to Milwaukee I stopped doing this entirely. This is probably for two reasons. First, I really do not eat breakfast anymore. Second everything I would read about in the morning paper I already know about before I go to bed the night before.

So why is this? This is mainly because of I spend more time on the Internet in one night now then I used to for an entire month. I already know about the final score of the Heat-Spurs game approximately 1-2 minutes after it is over. I already know about the big baseball trade that happened before I go to bed. I also think that this has changed what the general public views as breaking news. For example, earlier this summer, Cliff Lee was traded to the Phillies from the Indians. About 1 hour after the story broke ESPN stopped considering it breaking news. This is also an example of how up to date people want to be. If a story is more than an hour old, they are already bored with it.

You also made another good point that really caught my eye. You said that "the details are no longer important" and all people want is the main information. My mother is the perfect example of this. She has her google home page set up so she knows what all the big stories are. But she does not really know the details of a story. It can be really irritating to try to have a discussion about a topic when are like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment